Monday, April 19, 2010

Youths Speak: Ei Ein

from ei ein's facebook album.



My siblings and I were introduced to Sunday School by our cousins. As a small kid, I enjoyed the crafts and stories and songs in Sunday School tremendously. The church was quite a distance from our home, so there was a school bus that would come to take us to church. There were also passionate and loving teachers in the church who came to visit us in our homes when we went missing for weeks. One particular teacher was named Shirley. She made various efforts to reach out to us i.e. sent us photos and letters when were missing from Sunday School. As a child she impressed upon my heart to never deny Christ, lest He denies us before the Father in heaven. Though I was not baptised then, the lessons in Sunday School cultivated in me a clear stand that my allegiance was with Christ. Once in Primary Six, my class teacher asked who were the Christians in class, and I blushingly raised my hand because I had never openly professed myself to be one before.


I dropped out from church for the next four years, until in Form Four, when my cousin took me to an evangelistic meeting in her church where I re-dedicated my life to Christ. That same year I returned to church and was warmly received into the youth by my one and only peer Beng Hui who was passionate about people and about the Lord. That same year, our dearly beloved teacher Shirley went back to be with the Lord. Before she was bedridden, she taught the youth one last time. Her final message was: never, never, never deny the Lord.


We were very small in number back then. But the fellowship was warm. Being a small group, everyone was roped into the planning meetings and the sense of belonging was strong. A young and beautiful lady named Priscilla became my mentor and gave me weekly studies of God's Word. She must have heard the bleeping of a lost sheep in me and took me to the green pastures weekly where we shared God's Word and shared the pains of growing up together.


After four years in the youth, I left home to further my studies. The same year, my younger brother received the Lord in a local Chinese church. My mum has received the Lord there too, so we would take her to worship in the Chinese church when we come home. Our mum is slowly but surely growing in her faith. Her main fears are being persecuted for her faith and losing her children to ministry. Haha.


The years after I completed my studies were turbulent and I was at the lowest point of my faith as I was coming to terms with a series of tragic events. The same time, a good friend (my best friend and hubby now) was seeking God with his own sets of questions. We came to a small secluded church named Luther House Chapel. "Chapel" strikes me as a quiet peaceful place like MGC, where my faith was fresh and simple. After the first visit, we continued to worship there and found answers to our nagging questions. Today, known as Antioch Christian Church, this is where we seek God and serve our community. I found my place among the children while my hubby serves the worship team and the youth. It has been both a joy and a challenge to serve these little monsters-angels. (Just as how it must have been for the folks in MGC who taught me and my siblings.) Antioch is a small church, the workers are few, the children are unruly and we have much to learn. Thankfully, we have the privilege of learning from the seasoned people of SS2 Gospel Centre's King's Kids who provide us with wise insights and training.


I am really thankful to God for MGC and the persevering people. Thank you for the seed you planted in us as children. Thank you for your passion and patience that saw us through the silly years of our youth. And thank you for your influence in my ministry today.



Hugs,
eiein



A youth from the 1979 category, Ei Ein is the crazy sister some of us never had. (my sister is pretty crazy so i have two crazy sisters) She's married to Loh Teng Shui, and is still, I think, crazy. Thanks, Ei Ein! ^_^

3 comments:

hwei said...

yeah i remember! she always grab and tickle me when i was young. unc tony was the second person who did dat a lot.

Good post though! tells us that people who come and go after church events without accepting Christ doesn't mean the event was a total failure. We put the seed and God will use some other church to make it grow.

hwei said...

oops dat was supposed to be me, as in shaun. my sis dun log out wan. cis cis

RODNEY TAN CHAI WHATT said...

Ei Ein's testimony is a great encouragement to all of us who have been serving the Lord faithfully but have not been able to reap the fruits later because God has worked out that others will reap.

But it is nevertheless heartening to see many of our young people who have come through Melaka Gospel Chapel settling in many other denominational churches serving God faithfully and enthusiastically because of mentors, role-models, encouragers and leaders who cared for them.

Surely our reward is in heaven. So carry on serving Him whether in youth, childrern's hour, young adults or even adults!