Sunday, October 07, 2007

Your Tongue As Whose Pen?

Date: 29 September 2007 (Saturday)
Psalm 45:1
My heart is inditing a good matter:
I speak of the things which I have made touching the king:
My tongue [is] the pen of a ready writer.
Warm-Up
To show what it is like to be a writer with Writer's Block: I gave them 4 essay topics:
  • My Pet
  • Why I Love My Father/Mother
  • My Goals/Ambitions
  • The Girl/Guy I Like Most And Why
And I allowed them to substitute any one of the above with a topic of their own that they were comfortable with.

And so they wrote. For 20 minutes.



After they finished with their essays, I broke them into groups of two to share their essays with each other. It was interesting to hear some of their essays. Shaun's essay about his "pet", Shaun the Sheep was particularly fascinating. Ahem.

Findings:
  • The essays that were the easiest to write were concerning topics they've written about many times before, were familiar with, could relate to, were personal to them, and interesting to write about.
  • The essays that were the most difficult to write were concerning topics that were boring, or topics that they could not relate to or knew nothing of, such as My Goals/Ambitions
Dynamics
Think:
How many years have I been in church/youth?
Post/responsibility in church/youth?
Have I done it? Have I done anything at all?
How well? Have I done anything that has helped someone else?
Has anyone ever told me how encouraging I was or said anything encouraging about me?

All of us have talents, skills and gifts. There's no reason for us to flaunt them and show off, but there shouldn't be a reason for us to hide them either. We're supposed to be workers for God, not just people who help out once in a while. We need to start channeling our energy and time into the work of the harvest! If not with the gifts given us, at least with the tongue that each one of us have.

Is your tongue the pen of a ready writer or the pen of a writer with Writer's Block?

Conclusion
We ended by gathering around the piano and singing the song, Clouds Above. A huge Thank You to the MHS boys who sang along when I asked them to! I think that was one of those times when we really felt like a real family with a common goal and a common purpose. I sincerely hope we can be like that everyday, even when we're not singing together.

Psalm 45:17
I will cause Your Name to be remembered in all generations,
Therefore the people shall praise You forever and ever.
We are not only to remember Jesus, we're also to cause His Name to be remembered in all generations.

If the world were to forget Jesus one day, if there were to be a generation that would forsake Jesus Christ, let it not start with us. Let our generation not be the one to break our Lord's heart.
Let us strive towards the day where we would join that crowd of faithful witnesses, spurring the generations after us towards the finish line.

Gambate, everyone!

No comments: