Monday, April 02, 2012

wake service: 30.03.2012.

I usually won't come up to speak in front of an audience, but someone has to tell you all about the awesomeness of my grandfather.

I never got to hear my kong kong speak, because he was always sick. But I got to read what he wrote. When I got baptized, I got a bag of my kong kong's notes. They were very tidy, very neat.

My kong kong is also a loving person. When we went out to eat as a family, he would take my sister in one hand, and me in the other hand, and cross the road together. 

When we wanted to go to the toilet, he would also accompany us. 

I remember last time, I would tell my mother I want ice-cream. My kong kong would straightaway take out RM10 and say, "Go buy your ice-cream." But I don't want. I would rather argue with my mum. 

...That's all. Thank you.

-Joel Tan-


So simple, so sincere, so genuine. 

I've never heard anything more beautiful. 

Thank you for reminding us of your kong kong's awesomeness, Joel. 

=)

1 comment:

RODNEY TAN CHAI WHATT said...

Hwei, Thank you for typing out Joel's eulogy of his grandpa. I know he speaks from his heart. In fact, Grace & I were surprised he stood up and spoke without a script. Joel has always surprised us many times with his profound words & thoughts. Uncle Philip says he has the makings of a good preacher. :)