Saturday, July 14, 2007

Young Writers' Camp 2007

Hey, people~ this is the latest SU event going on (not really, it's just the one that I know of). Got this from Uncle Rodney.

Camp details
Date 18 - 20 August 2007 (blog's info)
Venue Grace Hill Orchard Lodge, Bukit Tinggi (near Genting Highlands)
Camp Fee RM 160 (inclusive of lodging, meals, and transportation)
Late Bird Special RM 180 (for registration after July 31)
Featuring Sivin Kit, Ng Wah Lok, KJ John, Colin Kirton and more
Other details For teens aged 13 - 19 (plus/minus is ok, according to them)

*Places are limited to only 30 campers

Links:
It's not like a school or anything. It's more like Scripture Union creating an environment that can encourage people to write, and write well. In the camp form, you'll see lines like:
  • "How do I write a blog that people want to read?"
  • "How do I write songs that inspire people to worship?"
  • "How do I write Easter skits that my friends won't feel shy to perform?"
  • "How can writing change my world?"
  • "How can I write to give glory to God?"
What's the Programme Like?
Campers will be part of a 3-step programme over the course of 3 days.
First Step : Explore motivations for writing by learning to write for ourselves
Second Step : Learn how to use our gifts for writing to glorify God
Third Step : Putting our writing into action: writing for the community (writing for others)

After the camp, campers are then free to group together and embark on a project of their own choice. You may publish a book, launch a magazine, or come up with something completely unexpected... Read more>>>

Things Spawned by SU YWC Camps
Community Impact
YWC and Phases investigative reporting assignments have ignited friendships and connections leading to volunteerism, internships, political awareness and social action.

Pivotal Career Choices
YWCs were the catalysts that led many young Malaysians to careers in journalism, academia, publishing, policymaking, advertising and other fields strongly influenced by the written word.


Ex-Campers on YWC
"...A space where I could be loved for myself, and write to make sense of the world of God."
Petra Gimbad, media officer

"The Phyw (Phases Young Writers) helped me to accept who I am."
Woon Tien Li, undergrad student

"I was 13 when I attended YWC '01. It was a very talented crowd of individuals that met me there. Well read, outspoken, inclined towards a myriad of different things from art, society, books, science, music, writing, and randomness.
I was intimidated. I felt stupid.
And that was probably the best feeling or 'awareness' which I brought back from camp, the realisation that I did not know."
Hwa Yi Zheng, model & student

"For my first investigative report, I had to find people who have never bought an illegal VCD in their lives! It was extremely challenging..."
Catalina Rembuyan, postgrad student in UM

"The Phases community... provided me with excellent exposure, both to individuals who take writing seriously, and to the subcultures inhabited by journalists, literary critics, and Christian thinkers in Malaysia."
Hwa Yang Jerng, quantitative analyst & freelance philosopher

"YWC gave me an important tool I never knew I had. Now I need to hone it, use it and entrust it to His glory."
Yoshua Chua, IT consultant


*Taken and adapted from Scripture Union's Young Writers' Camp Informative Flyer and the Scripture Union Website

No comments: